Working groups are represented on the ESH Council by Prof. Gianfranco Parati.
The Working Groups (WGs) were created for the study of specific topics in the fields of experimental and clinical hypertension.
The WGs contribute significantly to the activities of the Society by proposing subjects mainly for scientific research, and also by initiating studies requiring the cooperation of several University and non-University centres in Europe.
Thus the functions of WGs are as follows:
- To gather and exchange scientific information
- To promote and organise research on the subject
- To establish appropriate recommendations for the ESH and other similar organisations.
Any official document (i.e. in form of state-of-the-art) should be discussed with the Council.
Number and Composition of the Working Groups
Chairman Prof. Empar Lurbe
Chairman Prof. Gianfranco Parati
Chairman Prof. Jiri Widimsky
Chairman Prof. Gianpaolo Rossi
Chairman Dr. Dariusz Gasecki
WG on Hypertension and Cardiovascular Risk Assessment in Subjects Living in or Emigrating from Low Resource Settings
Chairman Prof. Pietro Amedeo Modesti
Chairman Prof. Alexandre Persu
Chairman Prof. Margus Viigimaa
WG on Hypertension, Thrombosis and Arrhythmias
Chairman Prof. Enrico Agabiti Rosei
Chairman Prof. Kostantinos Tsioufis
Chairman Prof. Vasilios Kotsis
WG on Vascular Structure and Function
Chairman Prof. Pierre Boutouyrie
Organising Working Groups
- Further WGs by recognised experts on the basis of a clear scientific background can be proposed to the ESH Council. WG are not permanent, they may be cancelled or merged with other WGs, if appropriate.
- Each WG has a chairman (in charge for 2 years), a vice-chairman, a secretary and members chosen for their competence in the field of interest of the WG. The chairman, vice-chairman and secretary are elected by members of WGs every 2 years.
- New WGs should have at least 10 founding members, from different countries. Application for membership should be accompanied by the demonstration of scientific interest in the field (scientific publications) and recommendations by 2 members. Requests should be sent to the chairman of the WG.
- From October 2002 WGs have been represented on the ESH Council by a coordinator appointed for a four-year term with the possibility of being re-appointed once.
WGs should participate in the organisation of the annual Congress. During the annual Congress, each WG organises a scientific meeting. Two (or more) WGs can interact in order to organise a scientific meeting.
At the same time, each WG can also organise a meeting to discuss the current and future activities of the group.
Small scientific meetings can be held in various European Cities on the initiative of the chairman or of local experts who are members of the WG.
The WGs should report at least yearly to the Council, giving information on their activities.